Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What I'm Thankful For...

 My health, most of all. Having buried two husbands too soon (one from colon cancer, the other from emphysema), I’m all too aware of the fragility of life. I’m thankful that I have the health and strength to participate in Zumba and Silver Sneakers classes, to walk along the riverbank or in the woods, to ride a bicycle, to dance like no one’s watching.

I’m thankful my sister survived the fire that inflicted first-degree burns over her face, neck and chest and incinerated her shoulder-length hair. (She looks better in a short ‘do anyway.) Twenty-one days in intensive care, more than a year of physical and occupational therapy, five separate skin-graft operations and a laser cut on her throat have returned 60 percent mobility to her head and neck and a smile to her face. Her role model? DWTS winner J.R. Martinez.

I’m thankful for my brothers, who, while on opposite ends of the “different” spectrum, both play a vital part in my life. I’m grateful that my parents had long and fruitful lives before they died in their nineties.

Friends, both in day-to-day life and online, those I meet once a year at conferences and those too far to meet in person, sustain me more than I can say. Neighbors who come together during emergencies and help each other, who shovel my snow in winter and share their excess zucchini and lettuce in summer, are priceless.

I thank the United States Armed Forces who protect us, guard all our precious freedoms and sometimes give their lives for us, and preserve the power of the vote, no matter who your candidate is. This is a right that too many nations deny their citizens.

My publisher, Ellora’s Cave, my wonderful editor, Jilly, and the inimitable Cavemen, who not only are delicious eye candy but as nice as anyone you’d ever meet. Thank you to my readers, who buy my books, who comment on my blogs, who share my enjoyment of life and fun and dancing during conferences. Thank you to other authors, who give me hours of reading enjoyment.
 
Forest photo by Cris Anson

Warm sunshine, snow-capped mountains, tall shade trees, clumps of wildflowers with their attendant bees gathering honey, babbling brooks, the smell of the ocean, red caverns and striated cliffs in Canyon country, exploring forgotten byways to see the delightful surprises around the next turn. I appreciate Fresh Jersey corn and ripe peaches and the farmers who still grow crops that sustain us. Cold milk and warm cookies, Moonstruck chocolate truffles, Maine lobster roll or home-made vegetable beef soup with freshly baked bread. Hot mulled cider after a romp in the snow or fresh lemonade after a day pulling weeds.

I’m thankful for classical music to soothe the soul, whether the intricate perfection of a Mozart sonata or the uplifting strains of Mahler’s Resurrection Symphony. The beat of a Sousa March or a Joplin Rag, the sonority of Domingo singing an aria from Turandot, the hippie wail of another Joplin, Janis by name. Or the Boss who was Born in the U.S.A.

Peony photo by Cris Anson

Oh, and did I mention flowers? My garden, both the perennials that appear every year and the ones I plant every spring, delight the eye, the nose and the soul.

May you have a Thanksgiving full of love and peace and good food.

What are you most thankful for?

7 comments:

  1. If I had to choose one thing it would be my family. Everyone is so busy these days but we all make time for monthly visits that always include food and lively conversation. After that, good coffee, dark chocolate and good friends:)Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, Cris.

    On my list, my precious daughters, my adorable hubby, and my diabolical black cat. I'm thankful I still have two grandparents with me. I'm thankful my daughters are so close with my niece, and for the 42 years I had with my precious sister.

    I too am very grateful to Ellora's Cave and especially my talented editor, the incomparable Kelli Collins.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful for my family, my beautiful daughter and loving husband. I'm thankful that my sister and brother survived leukemia. And last but not lest, I'm thankful for my new book contract.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful for family and friends...and all those in the romance writing circle. We all "bond" except for those who view everyone as competition. I'm grateful for our military - they keep us safe and guard our freedom.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the little things, make life special. I'm grateful for so many things especially family, friends...and readers. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am thankful for so many things, but in thinking about the last year, I have to say, I am so thankful that Kelli Collins and Carrie Jackson found me and welcomed me into the Cave. This time last year I was an unpublished writer gnawing at her fingernails.
    Today I have 8 books out and several more in the works.

    And, did I mention, readers? All over the world?

    Fans even?

    Quite humbling. And exciting. And wonderful.

    And I am thankful.

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everyone, for sharing your thoughts on this Thanksgiving Day. I hope the sun shines brightly on you and yours.

    ReplyDelete