Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Lure of Body Parts

Today's post features guest author Shelley Munro on a topic near and dear to us all. ~~  Cris


Body language is a fascinating subject and a writer can do a lot with their characters in this respect. I’ve read a few books on the subject, and I always enjoy the TV program Lie To Me, which uses body language as a focal point for the show.

The Definitive Book of Body Language by Barbara Pease has a section on the things men and women first notice about prospective partners.

When men look at a woman they’re generally attracted to certain parts of the anatomy—the butt, breasts or legs. And believe it or not, this attraction is all tied up with reproduction.

So here’s the low down on each choice:

Butts – men find rounded, peach-shaped buttocks the most attractive. Female primates display their buttocks when they’re ready to mate. It shows they are receptive and available. Human females display their butts all the time, and this gives males the impression she’s available. Women also store fat in their buttocks for breastfeeding and as an emergency food storage in lean times. Note to self – remember this when complaining about current butt size!

Breasts—they serve as a sexual signal. Men are attracted to cleavage.

Legs—long legs are a non-verbal signal telling males that a woman is sexually mature and capable of childbearing. Men like women who wear high-heels because it gives the illusion of fertile looking legs.

When we women look at male body parts a sexual response is triggered in us too. Here’s the low down from the feminine perspective:

We like chests—a wide chest tapering to narrow hips allows a man to lug heavy weapons for long distances and to carry home their kills. Always handy, I think!

We like small, tight butts—a tight, muscular butt is necessary to make a strong forward thrust that’s needed for sperm transfer during sex. A man with a flabby butt has problems with this and tends to throw his entire body into the thrust, which isn’t comfortable for his partner.

We also like hips and muscular legs. They’re symbols of masculine power and endurance. Long, muscular legs allow a man to run swiftly, chase and hunt. Ladies like a man who can provide for them.

Interesting stuff, isn’t it? I tend to check out a man’s butt—don’t tell hubby. I had no idea I was thinking about forward thrusting. Really! No idea at all…

If you’re looking at a person of the opposite sex, which part do you check out first?

Go in a draw to win an Amazon gift certificate. Answer the question above and complete the rafflecopter below to go into the draw to win.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

The Bottom Line

In my contemporary release The Bottom Line, part of the focus is on the heroine’s butt. The hero considers Maggie’s quite a bit and that’s part of the story conflict. Here’s the blurb:

Spicing up her sex life sounds exciting…until the fantasy hits the fan.

When Maggie Drummond buys an erotic romance novel by mistake, she gets more than an unexpected eyeful. She gets an introduction to a world that arouses her to a fever pitch. Spanking.

Her boyfriend isn’t interested in pushing his vanilla-flavored sexual boundaries. Then there’s Connor Grey, who haunts her fantasies like a magical genie. As a source of masculine advice for her and her female friends, he’s off limits. The only safe place to explore her fetish is her anonymous blog.

The recent changes in Maggie don’t escape Connor’s notice. Now that her boyfriend has dropped her, he can finally—carefully—make his move. Given his family history, laying a hand on any woman, even in fun, is a line he’s reluctant to cross. But for Maggie? Anything the lady wants.

As Maggie gives in to the temptation to let Connor add some sin to her life, she finds herself juggling lies, half-truths, friendship and sensual delights. Her job is in jeopardy—and she’s falling in love. Exploring her fantasy is one thing, but she’s beginning to question if indulging her own pleasure is worth the cost to everyone around her. Especially Connor…

Product Warnings
Contains explicit sex, spanking, and the good, the bad and the ugly about friendship.

Available in print and e-book formats.

Shelley Munro is tall and curvaceous with blue eyes and a smile that turns masculine heads everywhere she goes. She’s a university tutor and an explorer/treasure hunter during her vacations. Skilled with weapons and combat, she is currently in talks with a producer about a television series based on her world adventures.
Shelley is also a writer blessed with a VERY vivid imagination and lives with her very own hero in New Zealand. She writes mainly erotic romance in the contemporary, paranormal and historical genres for publishers Carina Press, Ellora’s Cave and Samhain Publishing. You can learn more about Shelley and her books at these links.

WEBSITE | BLOG | AMAZON AUTHOR PAGEFACEBOOK | GOODREADS  PINTEREST |TWITTER

Don't forget to enter Shelley's contest!
~~ Cris

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing all this great info, Shelley. You sure hit all the *ahem* good parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me to visit, Cris. :)

      Delete
  2. I tend to notice arms. I like to see them muscular, but not bulging. Over doing says a guy is way too into himself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Although in caveman times, this would have been a good thing. Big arms - muscular and able to hunt.

      Delete
  3. I don't notice the body so much as the face, especially the eyes. I tend to like someone who has a more interesting look and personality and am not really turned on or off by the male physique. I really have to work at describing a hero's body in my books for those readers who adore the physical aspects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get this. Pretty eyes really draw me in too.

      Delete
  4. I like a man's hands. Fun post Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heroine in the book I'm reading at the moment is a fan of hands too. I never think to describe hands.

      Delete
  5. Eyes and mouth are my initial things and I move on to personality from there...especially a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A guy HAS to have a sense of humor. It's a must have for me!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know tight butts = good thrusting action. :)

    Obviously, I should do more research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I didn't know that either, and it made me laugh. So that's what my subconscious is telling me...

      Delete
  7. I love this information. I'm totally a chest woman...hubby is a butt man! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was lots of other great info in this book too. Body language is such a great way of adding characterization. Interesting, too.

      Delete
  8. I check out a person's face/eyes first. The eyes of course are the windows of the soul.


    Janet B

    jkbsfsd at msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like eyes too, but you can't always get that close at first to check them out. ;)

      Delete
  9. I am into a man's arms. I don't know why... they seem to be the part that always has interested me. I liked what you are saying about the body parts. Maybe the arms tend to go into the shoulders and chest areas. I do like a guy to be strong. :)

    daringzoey@yahoo.com
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think strong arms are part of the shoulder area. I mean, going back to caveman times, the guy would use his arms to drag back the kill. That's my theory, anyway :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing this post. I love checking out Men's butts, but I had no idea that i was thinking about forward thrusting, hmmm, puts a whole new perspective on things. evamillien at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post - to be honest i'm not sure what I look at first - I would like to say that I notice their face, hair or eyes first but I
    suspect that I notice their shoulders and chest first...lol...the
    bit about the forward thrust did kind of make me laugh a bit
    but it makes sense. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maria - the forward thrust bit cracked me up. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A man's eyes capture my attention...and the way he looks at a woman can be very sexy. Does he give a sideways glance? Full stare?
    The eyes can be mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne - eyes can be mesmerizing. Some guys have very lush eyelashes - totally wasted ;)

      Delete
  14. I love this! I always look at the face, especially the twinkle in the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sexy eyes are an attraction for me too.

      Delete
  15. Okay, I'm going to be brutally honest. LOL I glance at the face, focus on the chest, then glance at the crotch. I started paying attention recently to how I check out an attractive man. There is a definite pattern. If I like what I see, I look back at the face. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Now tell me, do the guys tend to notice you checking them out?

      Delete