Tuesday, October 14, 2014

SPEAKING MY PIECE - ROMANTICON 2014




Rumors. Innuendos. Half-truths. Mud-slinging. Over the past months, too much of that type of thing has been bandied about over the Internet, and it has been repeated, embellished and chortled over. I feel it’s time for me to speak, having just returned from four wonderful days in Canton, Ohio, celebrating my publisher’s sixth annual conference and fourteenth year as a leading publisher of erotic romance.

The principals (and principles) of Ellora’s Cave have been vilified and smeared and their business has been reported as near bankruptcy. On Thursday, the first evening of Romanticon™, the majority of participants had already arrived and the She-E-O of Ellora’s Cave, Patricia Marks, addressed a jam-packed room of authors to set the record straight.

What I saw was a Chief Executive Officer who, like many other CEOs running companies in the United States of America, is using good business practices during an economic downturn to keep her company afloat. Yes, Ms. Marks admitted that EC has downsized. No, bankruptcy was never considered as an option. Yes, they are cutting back their expenses. Having survived three downsizings and been a casualty of a fourth during my 40 years in the business world, I can attest to downsizing as a viable strategy. It’s business, folks! 

I don’t feel it’s my place to report on other comments during an extraordinary ninety-minute Q&A with the CEO (I took copious notes, if anyone wants to ask me privately). But I will say this. Ms. Marks answered all our weighty questions without hesitation, with no waffling, no script and no prompting. I have complete faith in Ellora’s Cave and I will continue to allow this company to handle my intellectual properties. I believe they will emerge from this downtick, as they did a few years ago as regards Borders, leaner and meaner and eager to kick ass again.

When I wrote this I was going to finish by saying, “Here are some photos from Romanticon,” but I think what I’m saying is too important to divert attention. Stay tuned for a forthcoming blog on the conference itself.

~~ Cris Anson, Proud Ellora’s Cave Author

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Cris. I really appreciate it. :-)

    Hugs and Happy writing!!
    jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you couldn't be there with us, Jan. It was a wonderful Romanticon. Happy writing to you too.

      Delete
  2. Well said Cris. I found that Patty was very forthcoming at the meeting and did her best to answer and address our concerns. I will handle my relationship with EC professionally and continue my series with them. She addressed one of my biggest concern which was edits and their plans for the future. Thank you for posting. I plan to as well. I hope all our author pals who know us will respect our position even if they do not agree and hopefully we can all get back to the work we love which is writing novels for are fans to enjoy. Warmly, Erin Simone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second everything you said, Erin. Thanks for posting.
      Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the update, Cris! Since I have a new book in editing at EC, I'm also cheering the company on in the future! I appreciate the straightforward post and wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell I'm not even an EC Author! But I'm really glad there is finally a voice that speaks the obvious in the midst of all the idiocy bring thrown at this publisher.

    I love EC books and it's Authors, you guys inspired me to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A belated thank you, Emma, for your support. It's nice to know there are others who feel the same way.

    And waving to Cindy, sorry you missed Romanticon, but we'll reconnect in the future, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete